Here is another cooking tips that I would like to share in cooking Bagoong or Balaw (Shrimp paste) the healthier way.
- Before cooking Bagoong(shrimp paste), make sure you wash it at least two to three times using a drainer to wash away the too much salt content of it but do not squeeze or apply to much pressure as you wash it to avoid washing away the natural juice or flavor coming from the shrimp paste.
- After washing the shrimp paste put a bowl under the drainer where the Shrimp paste was placed to still get the natural juice flavor from the shrimp paste and you may also include it when you cook the Bagoong.
Bagoong (Shrimp paste or shrimp sauce)Guisado Recipe
- 1 cup of Bagoong with the Bagoong juice that I specifed above.
- 5-6 cloves of garlic (peeled and finely chopped)
- 3 Tablespoons of cooking oil ( I recommend Vegetable oil)
- 2-3 tablespoons of sugar (depending on your taste)
- 2-3 tablespoons of vinegar
- 1 Siling labuyo (finger chillies) cut into two and lemon (optional)
Cooking Instructions for Bagoong Guisado
- Heat the pan and put the oil for 1 minute in medium heat.
- Saute’ the garlic until fragrant and turns lightly brown then add the bagoong with the juice, stir fry for approximately three minutes.
- Add the vinegar and sugar then stir until the color of the bagoong turns into a brown reddish with smooth mixture.
- Turn off the heat and put in a bowl.
- Squeeze a lemon and mix (good for rice meals) or you can also add the chillies (optional)
Serve with Kare kare, Manggang Hilaw, Pinakbet and also a good condiment for rice meals.