It was in the fifth day of my monitoring to my child who is sick with chicken pox when I wrote this post. In my recent post “Symptoms of Chicken Pox in the first three days,” I mentioned the symptoms that I observed from him. I tried to ask my mom, mom-in-law, sister and pediatrician on what to do with my son who is sick with chicken pox and they told me not to worry about. I have learned important things from them. I love it because it is another milestone for me as a mom. Now I want to share what I have learned from them and my experience as a hands-on mom to my sick child.
What to do when your child is sick with chicken pox (Bulutong Tubig in Filipino)?
- Do not take your child to bath. I believe that it is not advisable to let your child to take a bath when he is sick with chicken pox because his body is adjusting and preparing to release the red and itchy rashes (chickenpox blisters). Taking a bath may delay the appearance of the chickenpox blisters that appear in crops in 2 to 4 days.
- Boil Cilantro seeds (Kulantro as they say in Filipino wet market) in a kettle filled with water. Use the boiled water with a clean towel to cleanse the face, scalp and body to a child who is sick with chicken pox. This can be done at least two to three times a day or depending on the itchiness of his body. This was taught by my mom. My mom-in-law also agreed that this is the traditional old-fashioned way of curing chicken pox. I wonder why and they told me to just do it because it will really treat. Since they cannot tell me straight what Cilantro or Kulantro do to chicken pox/ bulutong tubig, I have done some research. I found out that Cilantro or Kulantro is a cure all for viral and bacterial infections. Chicken pox is caused by the varicella-zoster virus (VZV) and with the help of Cilantro or kulantro it will surely cure the virus. The coriander seeds oil have found application in many traditional medicines as analgesic, aphrodisiac, anti-spasmodic, deodorant, digestive, carminative, fungicidal, lipolytic (weight loss), stimulant and stomachic. Also, Cilantro herb is rich in anti-oxidants and dietary fiber which helps reduce LDL or “bad cholesterol” while increasing HDL or “good cholesterol” levels.
- Do not apply any cream to the chickenpox blisters because it will fade or heal naturally as advise by my pediatrician. I think it is not advisable to put creams on the rashes or blisters to avoid the delay of the natural healing process of the skin. I have read that there are some cases that it may develop complications like skin infections near the blisters so be very careful not to rub the chickenpox blisters and rashes. For children, you may let them wear mittens to avoid rubbing the rashes.
- To relieve the itchiness, clean the affected part with warm Cilantro/ Kulantro in boiled water. You may also ask your doctor or pediatrician on their recommendations for your child’s medicine to take. My 35 month-old child take Allerkid twice a day and I have observed that it helps. I also gave my child paracetamol for kids if he has a fever.
- Make sure to clean carefully the private parts of your child, hands and brush their teeth regularly to avoid bacterial infections. Usually these parts are susceptible bacterial growth.
I am thankful that on this day my child can sleep better. Although he is not completely healed, I can see some improvements with his mood. Praise the Lord!