Learning begins at home. It is the most comfortable place where we teach our child the first words and grasp of knowledge to grow healthy in mind, body and spirit. Our home served as a strong foundation that helps build the well-being of each individual in nation building. Parents have very important role to make this happen.
As parents, we always wanted the best for our children. Education is one of the top priority list. Home education can be considered as a prime educational option. Based on the same goal of building a strong family foundation through this learning option, Homeschooling Association of the Philippine Islands (HAPI)makes it possible for parents to learn about home education. It assists parents by pointing them to the right providers, trainings and resources to be able to homeschool well. There will be a Philippine Homeschool Conference 2012 on May 19 which is a big event that invites everybody interested in homeschooling to come, discover, learn and be enlightened.
Why can we consider Home education as a prime educational option?
Homeschooling brings a customized educational experience at home, one where the parents decide to fully take charge of teaching their children. This is D.I.Y education at its best. As parents, we are the person who would know our children best and we would be the most loving and nurturing to them when it comes to teaching. Perhaps that’s the major reasons why homeschooled children become achievers.
Homeschoolers who were achievers
- Christopher Paolini – the best-selling author of fantasy novel series Eragon
- Tim Tebow – the star NFL quarterback and the first college sophomore to win the Heisman Trophy at age 20
- Serena Williams – the tennis champion
- Joey Logano – NASCAR champion racer
- Jonas Brothers – an American boy band
- Paul Tan-Chi of the Ateneo UAAP basketball fame and incumbent President of the 200-member strong Subdivision and Housing Developers Association (SHDA). (Local)
List of Well-known homeschoolers from the past
- George Washington
- Benjamin Franklin
- Thomas Edison
- Albert Einstein
- Gen. Douglas MacArthur
- C.S. Lewis,
- Pearl S. Buck
- Florence Nightingale
Five tools for a successful D.I.Y. homeschooling
- ruler to represent the learning context
- hammer for the learning content or the curriculum
- sandpaper for enrichment activities that bring out and hone the talents and skills of the homeschooler
- sharpening steel for the support group with like-minded and helpful parents
- plumb line which represents the standard (purpose) that will guide the homeschooling journey and “keep straight the path”.
In the country, more and more Filipino parents are homeschooling by choice, and discovering its priceless benefits, The association has put their number conservatively at 3,000 families. HAPI has made it its mission to be a catalyst in nation-building by advancing home education and unifying home educators in the country. . It is also affiliated with the largest homeschooling organization in the world, and envisions a movement of transformed families creating positive change in their communities and the nation as a whole.
“We believe that the teacher-student relationship is intrinsic to the parent-child relationship. Parents have a natural God-given influence that will work to make homeschooling fulfilling for both. Through the Philippine National Homeschool Conference 2012, we hope to inspire more parents about homeschooling’s real life benefits,” says HAPI President, Gerry Argosino.
With the theme “Laying a Strong Foundation”, the Philippine Homeschool Conference is set to take place on May 19, 2012 in Ortigas Center, Mandaluyong. International speaker Debra Bell a homeschooling authority in the U.S. and best-selling author, and our own inspirational speaker and author Bo Sanchez are slated as keynote speakers. The event will be honored by the presence of Dep Ed officials like Atty Tonisito Umali, Asst. Secretary for Legal & Legislative Affairs.