Chopsuey is the popular Chinese inspired dish that is now one of the favorite dish of Filipinos. This dish is a combination of varieties vegetables that are cooked by sauteing meat and vegetables with seasonings. There are different versions of cooking Chopsuey. What I love with this dish is that you can choose any type of meat such as pork, chicken, or Shrimp. Some people even used squid balls in cooking Chopsuey. Let me share my creamy healthy version of cooking Chopsuey. I only used six varieties of vegetables that can easily be found in wet market.
Note: Always Choose fresh vegetables. Vegetables are the main highlights of Chopsuey.
Nutrition: Varieties of fresh vegetables promote good digestion. A good source of vitamins and minerals.
A version of filipino chop suey with cream of mushroom.
Creamy Chopsuey Ingredients:
(My style: vegetables and meat should be cut in about an inch sized)
- 4 gloves Garlic, diced
- 2 medium Onions, diced (I prefer to cut in halves only)
- 1/4 Kilo lean pork/ ground pork, sliced thinly
- 3 medium-sized Carrots,sliced thinly
- 1/4 Kilo Broccoli
- 2 medium-sized Vegetable Pear (Sayote/ Chayote)
- 1/8 Kilo Chicharo
- 1/8 KiloYoung Corn
- 2 medium-sized Bell Pepper (green or red)
- 1 can of Campbells Cream of mushroom soup
- 1 – 2 cups of water or enough for the Chopsuey mixture
- 3 tablespoon of vegetable cooking oil
- 1 – 2 tablespoon Oyster sauce to taste
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the pork meat first in a big pan with 1/2 cup of water or just enough to cover the meat. Let it boil and cook until the water on the pan dried up. (Some use meat stock)
- Add 3-4 tablespoon of vegetable cooking oil in a pan with meat, sauté garlic, onions and add the vegetables. (My sequence of adding the vegetables – Sayote, Young corn, Broccoli, Carrots, Chicharo, Bell Pepper).
- Mix the ingredients then add the Campbells Cream of mushroom soup, water, Oyster sauce, salt and pepper.
- Adjust the heat flame to high and quickly mix all the ingredients. Taste and add more salt if needed.
- After a few minutes about 3 to 5 minutes when the broccoli turned bright green, turn off the stove and remove the pan from the stove.
- Serve with hot rice and fried fish is a good combination with the meal.
Remarks: With the use of Campbells cream of mushroom soup, there is no need to use cornstarch. It makes the creaminess of cooking Chopsuey. The taste of my creamy healthy Chopsuey is comparable to the Chopsuey dish that can be ordered from fine restaurants.