Nowadays, most mothers are working moms and I enjoy being one of them. Although I am a work-at-home mom, the duties and responsibilities are almost same with other working moms whether it is in the office, home or field work. The most challenging part of being a working mom is the time management on how you can use it wisely and effectively.
Family is always the top priority of moms. When I got married a few years ago, I decided to work at home. During those days when I am not yet married, I experienced working in the food chain as local store marketing, technical helpdesk in the office, assigned in the field work for some big events, technical representative in the call center, businessperson engaged in buying and selling computers, and internet café administrator. I was about to work abroad as a technical coordinator in a big company but I changed my mind and got married.
Becoming a mom is not a hindrance to pursue my career as an independent contractor working at home just like other working moms. I have proven it for more than four years now as a work-at-home mom. The effort that I exerted for my time management works well to balance work-family-parenting and anything in between. I use Microsoft one note to record my time table and other to-do list. The photo below is an example of my weekly activity from 7AM- 4PM.
Time Management of Working Moms
- Set a daily time table that you can follow weekly. A recommended time table includes a time schedule for each set of activities with time frame. A time table will be your guide to complete successfully your task for the whole day, weeks or month. You can write it in your memo note or post it in your desk or work area. You can use your smart phone or computer for the time table.
- Make a list of the healthy meals for the week. It is good to prepare the meals for the week by listing the different dish and menu that you are about to cook in advance. This will be easier and quicker to prepare for your family.
- Do your grocery shopping during off days. After resting in you’re off day, it is good to do your grocery shopping including the lists that are needed for the preparation of meals for the week. Shopping in your free or off day will not be stressful because you do not need have to think about work while shopping.
- Make the most of your free time by resting and doing significant activities. In your free or off day, it is great to a take rest by having enough sleep and do other significant activities that you cannot do during regular working mom days such as cooking a special dish for the family and eating breakfast/lunch/dinner together, cleaning and fixing your bedroom , and bonding activities for your family.
- Do not forget your me-time at least once a week. After a stressful work, make sure that you have time for yourself. A pampering body spa, mani-pedi-foot spa and hair treatment are good ways to keep ourselves relax and refresh. It does not have to be expensive and you can even do this at home with your mom, sister/s or close friends. Shopping clothes and bonding with your close sister/s and friends is a good form of releasing stress as we can share the same interests and stories with them.
- If there is an emergency in the family such as sickness, hospitalization, etc. that needs more time affecting your work schedule, always inform and explain it to your work’s management. Keep them posted and when you are back to work, be productive and efficient so that you can dominate the delay of work.
To learn more about fun and healthy motherhood discussions, please visit and like us in facebook at http://www.facebook.com/seriouslyfunmoms.
Latest posts by Jem Alvarado (see all)
- Monocle – Stylish Revolutionary New Speaker On the Go - 12/05/2013
- Fresh Treats at Harina Artisan Bakery Cafe - 12/05/2013
- Minnie Mouse Tutu Dress for Mickey Mouse Clubhouse Birthday Theme - 12/03/2013