Salmon is a highly nutritious delicious fish that is perfect for sinigang (sour soup), steak or grilled. I seldom cook this fish because it is not always available in the market and expensive compared to other fish. I remember the delicious taste of Sinigang na ulo ng Salmon sa Miso that we ate from Mangan restaurant and I missed it so I cook my own version of Salmon sinigang sa Miso recipe. It turned out to be a successful dish that everybody loves when I cooked it.
Nutrition: High in Omega 3 that are Protective against heart disease, stroke, certain cancers, arthritis and asthma. An excellent source of Vitamin B6 and Magnesium.
- 1/2 kilo of Salmon fish head
- 2 pieces of medium sized onions, cut into halves
- 3 tomatoes, cut into halves
- 4-6 cloves of garlic, minced
- thumb-sized of ginger, sliced
- 1-2 pieces of Green Chillies (depending on your taste)
- One bundle of Green Mustard (Mustasa) Leaves
- 1/4 cup Miso (white or yellow) or Knorr Sinigang sa Miso Seasoning Smallest Pack(Any Sour Miso seasoning)
- Knorr Sinigang sa Sampaloc
- 3- 4 cups of water (depending on how much soup you like)
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt or to taste
- a pinch of white pepper
- Season the fish with a little salt and pepper.
- Saute garlic, onions, tomatoes and ginger. Add the 3 cups of water then pour the miso. Simmer for 1-2 minutes then add the fish.
- Pour the Knorr Sinigang sa Sampaloc Seasoning add the salt. Let it simmer for five-ten minutes until the stew is slightly thick.
- Place the Green Mustard, let it cook for 20-30 seconds (do not over-cooked) then put the green chillies.
Estimate price: Php207
Estimate price breakdown
- 1/2 Kilo of Salmon Fish head – 142
- Packed Miso - Php 12
- Garlic, Onions, tomatoes and Ginger – Php 30
- Knorr Sinigang sa Sampaloc – Php 11
- 1 bundle Green Mustard Leaves (Mustasa) – Php 10
- Green Chillies – Php2
To avoid the bitter taste of the Mustard leaves (Mustasa), try to blanch it before mixing it with the sinigang. My technique to avoid the fishy taste and smell of the Salmon fish is to put a little amount of salt and enough ground pepper on the fish overnight before cooking it. In the photo above, I use a packed white miso that I bought from SM supermarket.
If you cannot find miso in the market, you can use Knorr sinigang sa Miso seasoning and you can try the other way of cooking special sinigang na isda sa miso.