A very challenging task of a mom is to take care of her children in times of sickness. I have encountered it several times with my little boy although it is quite too far from what my mama experienced for raising me and my siblings. Now is my time to shine as a real mother to my son and soon-to-be children in taking care of them especially in sickness. When a child is sick, I believe majority of moms take extra care, love and affection for their children.
What to do when your child is sick with fever?
Fever is a common medical symptom characterized by an elevation of body temperature above the normal range of 36.5–37.5 °C (98–100 °F) that can accompany many childhood illnesses, especially infections. It is always good to consult your pediatrician first about the condition of your child before giving any medicine.
Several ways to do for the treatment of fever
- Give your child a lot of fluids (water) so that he does not get dehydrated.
- Apply cool towel, rags or packs under the arms, on the forehead and in the groin areas. Just make sure it is not too cold.
- Use over-the-counter fever reducer products that contain acetaminophen (Tylenol) such as Paracetamol Calpol, Tempra or Biogesic. Please read the label of the medicine or call the pediatrician for the correct dosage.
- Give your child sponge bath using a lukewarm water for a persistent fever.
- You can use fever reducer patch such as the cool fever usually placed on the forehead. It could last up to eight hours.
What to avoid when your child has a fever?
- Do not wrap your child in warm clothes or blankets.
- Never put in an ice bath.
- Do not use or mix alcohol in towels or when using sponge bath on the skin.
Latest posts by Jem Alvarado (see all)
- Monocle – Stylish Revolutionary New Speaker On the Go - 12/05/2013
- Fresh Treats at Harina Artisan Bakery Cafe - 12/05/2013
- Minnie Mouse Tutu Dress for Mickey Mouse Clubhouse Birthday Theme - 12/03/2013