Last June 22, 2013- Saturday, I attended a hospital tour at the University Physicians Medical Center (UPMC) situated within the newly-renovated University of the Philippines Manila- Philippines General Hospital (UPM-PGH) Faculty Medical Arts Building (FMAB). The University Physicians Medical Center (UPMC), a trade name of the Mercado Ambulatory and Surgical Centers Inc. (MASCI), is a private multi-specialty outpatient diagnostic and surgical center designed as one –stop health facility.
UPMC Services (The hospital Tour)
- Ambulatory Surgical Center (ASC) – The ASC is capable of performing same-day surgeries focussing on minimally-invasive techniques including laparoscopic, endoscopic, and arthroscopic surgeries. Surgical incisions have become smaller with this technique resulting in faster patient recovery. The recovery time can be as fast as 4 hours.
- Fully Automated Laboratory and Drug Testing – UPMC is using fully automated and digitized machines ensuring timely and accurate reporting. Their Laboratory Information System (LIS) makes possible the transmission of laboratory reports directly to the doctor’s clinic. A full-service clinical and pathology laboratory services includes Clinical history, Drug testing, Hematology, Histopathology, Immunology and Serology, Microbiology, and Microscopy.
- Radiology and Nuclear Medicine – UPMC’s Radiology and Nuclear Medicine offers the most current diagnostic tools that Physicians rely on.
Apart from the traditional CT scan procedures, their 64-slice machine can perform virtual colonoscopy, calcium scoring and non-invasive angiographic procedures.
Fluoroscopic procedures as well as full-length imaging of the vertebral spine and extremities are possible with their digital X-ray and fluoroscopy machines as compared to the traditional x-ray procedures.
UPMC digital mammogram affords outpatients less pain as compared to the traditional mammogram. They have the Mother’s day promo for Mammogram for only Php 999 that was extended last July 15, 2013.
For expectant mothers at risk of complications, UPMC provides ultrasound testing with expert interpretation by physicians who are specialists in maternal-fetal medicine. 3D and 4D image of the fetus can likewise be made using their ultrasound machine. In the hospital tour at the ultrasound area, I also spotted their fetal non-stress test (NST) machine at the lower photo. I remember I have used this kind of machine when I encountered pre-term labor contractions in my pregnancy. They can also perform congenital anomaly scan at the rate of Php 2,500.
UPMC offers the Picture Archiving and Communication System (PACS) that transmits images directly to the doctor’s clinic for the convenience of patients.
- Hemodialysis – Dialysis is a new addition to UPMC services. As you can see in the photo their facility offers comfort to the patient. Currently promo rates are available, for inquiries please call them at 7080000 or 09327781589 local 155.
- Other services includes Cardiovascular, Industrial and Occupational Health, Intravenous Therapy, Pharmacy, and Physical Rehabilitation and Sports Medicine.
My feel at the hospital tour
It was my first time to visit and take a hospital tour with an Ambulatory Surgical Center. At first I thought UPMC is just like the usual medical center but when we started the tour I feel comfortable. The ambiance at UPMC has a pleasant and relaxing environment. The Art Deco architecture of the building is truly beautiful and every corner is clean.
With their clinical expertise and complete diagnostic technology all-in-one building having centralized queuing system, electronic medical records, food court (second floor), ATM, convenience store and coffee shop, pharmacy, and ample parking space (located at PGH pay parking); the patients and visitors will surely feel the comfort and convenience.
For more information please visit their website at http://upmc.net.ph and facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/UPMC.FMAB . You may also call them at (02) 708-0000 local 127.
It is located within the newly-renovated University of the Philippines Manila- Philippines General Hospital (UPM-PGH) Faculty Medical Arts Building (FMAB), a three-story building declared as heritage site by the national Historical Institute. It was established in 2010, the UPMC interior has been carefully designed blends with the general Art Deco architecture of the building creating a coherent identity that provides doctors a functional state-of-the-art and pleasant work environment.
UPMC is equipped with the latest Hospital Information System integrated with Electronic Medical Record (EMR), a picture archiving and Communication System (PACS) and Laboratory Information System (LIS), innovations that allow physicians to access medical information, both data and images in an efficient and timely manner.
Clinics of 300 faculty members affiliated with the UP college of Medicine and PGH, covering 15 specialties and 75 subspecialties are located with the FMAB. With this pool of expert of medical practitioners, a patient may schedule a visit, have a diagnostic exam done, and fill a prescription in a pleasant and relaxing manner all in one building within the same day.
UPMC’s public-private partnership with the UP resulted to a success in terms of accessibility of quality yet reasonable healthcare to Filipinos. This serve as UPMC’s continuing commitment to improve and uplift the level of healthcare in the Philippines as they forge more partnerships with other institutions.
UPMC is operated and managed by the Mercado General Hospital, Inc., which also owns Daniel O. Mercado Medical Center (DMMC), a 130-tertiary level 4 Hospital in Tanauan, Batangas, and a recognized Philhealth Center of excellence; and DMMC Institute of Health Science a tertiary institution offering allied health courses, the only one in Tanauan with its own base hospital.
UPMC accepts major credit cards and is presently accredited with 21 HMOs and 5 insurance companies.