Did you know that Pomegranate is one of the healthiest Superfruits listed. We love planting! When we bought plants and soil two years ago, the plant seller gave us two small plants as freebies. These plants are Pomegranate and Makopa. The first thing that came into my mind is what are the benefits of these plants for us. Fast forward first, my mom-in-law discovered on How to make Pomegranate Juice?
There is a story behind the plants that the seller gave us. Some people have Feng Shui practices on what to plant in front of the house that are considered to bring luck. From what I remember, the front of the house should have colorful flowers and sweet-bearing fruits. In Chinese Feng Shui, lucky plants bring good luck and fortune are lucky Bamboo plant, Jade plant, Money Tree (Pachira Aquatica), Moth Orchid (Phalaeonopsis Orchid), Citrus and Lime Trees.
At home, we opted to plant flowers and fruits with good health benefits. The gardeners or the plant seller gave us Pomegranate and Makopa. Our Makopa fruits are surprisingly green, crisp, and taste sweet as an apple. For the Pomegranate, it took so long for the fruits to ripen. Since it bears too many fruits even as a shrub, we decided to pick its fruits when it is halfway grown (unripe). This is to give way the Pomegranate plant to grow healthy leaves and stem.
My mom-in-law who is also a health conscious discovered how to make Pomegranate juice.
Pomegranate Health Benefits
- Antioxidants. Pomegranate contains higher levels of antioxidants than most other fruit juices. It also has three times more antioxidants than red wine and green tea.
- Vitamin C. The juice of a single pomegranate has more than 40 percent of your daily requirement of vitamin C.
- Cancer prevention. Pomegranate juice recently made a splash when researchers found that it may help stop the growth of prostate cancer cells. Despite multiple studies on the effects of the juice on prostate cancer, the results are still preliminary.
- Digestion. It can reduce inflammation in the gut and improve digestion. It may be beneficial for people with Crohn’s disease, ulcerative colitis, and other inflammatory bowel diseases. My mom-in-law usually have stomach issues, upset stomach, and bowel problems. When she drinks Pomegranate juice, she said that her stomach feels better.
- Heart disease. Pomegranate juice is in the running as the most heart-healthy juice. It appears to protect the heart and arteries.
How to make Pomegranate Juice?