My little son just turned three years old last October. I am so thankful for his milestones and he is truly catching up so fast. I remember at age 18 months, he can completely count to ten and can distinguish primary colors. When he reached the age of two, he can completely sing clearly the “Bahay Kubo”, a Filipino Folk song and he can count to 20.
Now that he is three years old there are lots of big development from him. I was grateful that he speaks clearly in Filipino, some English words and sentences. He can distinguish basic numbers and shapes. I noticed that he started to do story telling with books and role playing with his toys. When we introduced him to try scrolling the mouse of the computer, he can now hover and click on to play on the computer. The only problem that I am worried about is the effects of using the computer at his early age.
I tried my best to teach him the traditional way that my parents taught me. I have observe that toddlers at this age needs a twist approach in learning. Let me share some tips to boost your child step by step learning.
Tips on teaching step by step learning of a toddler
- Communication between a mother and toddler is the best medium for a child to learn fast. I believe that it is the bond of the affection of parents that will be the first learning of a child like saying the simple “I love you!”.
- Speak clearly in front of your toddler. Do not speak the “Baby Talk” way when pointing to objects. Speak in simple words that he can understand easily like “Apple is red”, “Smells Good”, etc.
- Let him watch educational videos like Brainy Baby, Baby Einstein, HBO Kids music, etc. The child will surely learn from the video.
- Give him nursery books followed by fairy tale books. Read the book together in an interesting tone to keep him amazed with the story.
- Let him watch educational TV programs like Team Umizoomi at Nickelodeon channel.
- At the age of two or three, give him educational toys to keep him busy like patterned geometric blocks, ABCD toys or number train.
- Let your child explore his imagination through arts and coloring books.
- Toddler loves music. Give them musical instrument and play together.
- At age three, I believe you can introduced him to a simple computer or electronic toy. You can teach him how to navigate, hover and click on your computer for as long as you supervise him. Just make sure that you will not leave him unattended while he is in front of the electronic/ Computer toys.
Currently, my husband and I were planning to designate a tablet PC for my three year-old toddler. We will allow him to use that it in a limited time schedule. We believe that this will be a solution for him not to use my personal notebook and a great way for him to learn more with children’s learning applications.