How do you protect yourself against the Covid-19 disease? This is currently the battle worldwide. Everyone is a possible carrier of the virus so we should be wary. As a mother, sharing with you the brief information and the 5 ways to Prevent Covid-19 Infection.
I made this post still for Covid-19 awareness. Most of us already knew about this global pandemic that we are facing. Let me just share some ways we do at home and even if we go out to buy essentials. These things are helpful in preventing the disease from spreading.
What is Covid-19?
Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) is an infectious disease caused by a newly discovered coronavirus. Most people infected with the COVID-19 virus will experience mild to moderate respiratory illness and recover without requiring special treatment.
According to the World Health Organization, to prevent infection, you should wash your hands regularly with soap and water, or clean them with alcohol-based hand rub. Avoid touching your face, Observe social distancing about 1 meter between you and the person, and refrain from smoking and other activities that weaken the lungs. Just like when you have a flu, you should stay home if you feel unwell. And of course, cover your mouth and nose when sneezing or coughing. Following these prevention measures will also slow the transmission of Covid-19 from spreading.
The most common symptoms are fever, dry cough, and tiredness. Aches and pains, sore throat, diarrhea, conjunctivitis, headache, loss of taste or smell, a rash on the skin, or discoloration of the fingers or toes are the less common symptoms. The most dangerous are the serious symptoms of Covid-19. This includes difficulty breathing or shortness of breath, chest pain or pressure, and loss of speech or movement.
credit source: World Health International
Reading the information about the Coronavirus disease, we followed the WHO on how to protect ourselves against the virus and stop spreading it. Since the Covid-19 disease is related to respiratory illness with flu like symptoms, avoiding what may cause of it is an important thing to do.
5 Ways to Prevent Covid-19 Infection
- Keep clean and sanitize. It is important to keep yourself clean and sanitize areas or things around you. At home, we have a big alcohol with spray located at the entrance of the house. We use alcohol wet wipes or tissue on things we received from the outside before bringing it inside the house.To save on the cost of alcohol, we usually buy a gallon of alcohol with 70% ethyl alcohol, a great disinfectant. Then, we refill the alcohol in the house. For on-the-go protection, we always bring a small bottle alcohol spray, alcohol wipes, and extra surgical mask.
You can make your own disinfectant solution using mixing 5 tablespoons of bleach per gallon of water. Apply it for 30 seconds to a minute before wiping or washing it out. Research estimates that the Coronavirus can survive on copper for four hours, on cardboard for 24 hours, and on plastic and stainless steel for 72 hours. So it is better to sanitize and clean anything from the outside of your home before taking it inside the house.Always wash your hands well and avoid touching your face.
- Wear face masks and Observe Social Distancing. Wearing face masks is a guideline by the Center for Disease and Control and Prevention, CDC. There are several types of face masks such as N95 respirator, surgical mask, and a cloth mask. The N95 mask is the one with the tight seal against the face and filter our 95% of particles up to 0.3 microns. Wow! That was too small. So this is the one recommended for healthcare workers and also the surgical mask. Honestly, I am having difficulty with breathing using the N95 mask so what I usually use is a double surgical mask or a cloth mask first then another surgical mask. A cloth mask is recommended for the general public. But, if going to a hospital or areas with a possible large crowd, better wear surgical mask or N95 respirator.As much as possible, stay home. Avoid crowded places. Observing social distancing is the best practice to prevent the coronavirus infection. After using the face mask, make sure to dispose it properly or for cloth mask, wash it well. Avoid touching the contaminated part.
- Take Vitamins or Multivitamins to boost Immune System. Taking vitamins most especially vitamin C is helpful is strengthening our immune system. The photo below are some of the suggested vitamins for good health. When I asked a friend via fb messenger who got infected with the coronarvirus, the doctor recommended her to take Berroca Vitamins. She also drinks ginger tea with honey. Thank God, she has overcome the Covid-19 disease. Immunomax forte is also good for the immune system. I usually take this when I feel weak and I need a good rest. It calms me and I have a good sleep.
- Hot Lemon with honey. This is a healthy and relaxing night drink. Lemon is proven to be a good source of vitamin C. Honey is a good source of antioxidant and a phytonutrient powerhouse. Combining lemon and honey soothes sore throats, heal wounds, fights infection, and help for digestive issues. My husband and I never had a problem with our bowel movement when drinking this healthy tea. We trust the Manuka honey and the Ilog Maria Virgin honey. We also patronize the Yamang Bukid Turmeric Tea. Our powerhouse source of vitamin C includes Calamansi, Pomelo, and Oranges. The hot lemon with honey has the same health benefits with Healthy Benefits of Calamansi Concentrate with Honey.credit source: https://www.healthline.com/
- Steam Inhalation. Prevention is better than cure. So, if there are times my family and I are feeling sick or getting colds or flu, we consider inhaling hot steam. Simply boil a clean water, then pour it into a small basin. Cover your head with a towel or cloth, then position yourself steam inhalation. Afterwards, pat massage your back and chest area. You will perspire and feel a little better doing this.Another effective way to relieve congestion and headache is using a peppermint essential oil of Vick vapor rub. This has been my regular routine. I love my peppermint essential oil! For better sleep, try using the lavender oil. Even my kids love the cooling and refreshing scent of the Peppermint.
Getting vaccinated with Covid-19 vaccine produces protection against the disease, as a result of developing an immune response to the SARS-Cov-2 virus. There is a reduced risk of developing the serious symptoms of the illness and its consequences. For Philippine residents, please read the updates of the Covid-19 vaccines. Let’s get vaccinated!
Above all, prayer and having faith in God that we can defeat the novel coronavirus is the best weapon in this battle. Together we can overcome this global problem by being adaptable as we stay informed. Let us always practice the anti-Covid-19 guidelines and be aware of our environment.