This year is the first school year of my little boy in nursery. A few years ago, I have witnessed how my sister manage and took care of her children especially in going to school. Now this time is my mommy moment eventually to make my turn to do it for my first child who started studying in school.
I have read and learned real mommy stories about having a difficulty in bringing their child to nursery school so before I bring my little boy to school; I made some preparations that I posted at Helpful tips in preparing your child for nursery school. The outcome of the tips is very effective on my part but I still discover several situations wherein my little boy does not want to attend class.
It is more than a month ago since the day one of school opening. We are so happy that we made it in the first weeks of school class. The situation wherein my little boy does not want to attend class arises in different school days. I think it has something to do with children’s mood swings and other behavior patterns of my three-year-old son.
Tips in encouraging children to go to school
- Provide School things and accessories that your child is interested in. School bag is your child’s thing partner in going to school. Give them a chance to choose the color and design that they wanted with your guidance. You have to encourage them to pick for a school bag that is comfortable to use. Same with other school items and accessories, give them what they like and make sure that it is necessary in school work.
- Make a habit of praying before bedtime. In the prayer, you may encourage your child to include prayers for school about their school work, teachers and classmates. If someone is sick especially the teacher in school, we pray “God, Please help my teacher to get well soon so that she may feel better and attend our class.” When we prayed at night with my little boy, we always say a prayer “Let there be a shiny bright morning, Jesus.” And “Thank you for all the blessings”.
- Talk to your child about the things that they did in school. Every day conversation about the things that they did in school will help them build their awareness in school work and activities. When you ask them and your child share their activities in school, make some good interaction and try to tell more about what you know in their school activity.
- Keep them busy while waiting for their school time or school service. Most children get easily bored and wanted to do anything while waiting for school time or school service. Sometimes they caught mess before they can actually arrive in school. To help them behave while waiting, give them something that they can engage in such as coloring book, puzzles, drawing pad or mini-books. When the time is up tell them that you will keep the material and it is now school time or if you can discipline your child, you can tell them to keep it inside the school bag during class time and use it only when they have free time in school or while waiting for their service to fetch them.
- Acknowledge your child’s potential and motivate them. A simple word of acknowledgement makes a child to be very happy and in this way their self-confidence will boost. No matter how big or small your child has achieved, parents should always appreciate it. A good example of this is giving them a sweet hug and kiss, treating them special snacks or granting their special request and attending their school programs especially when they have a role to play in the event.
To learn more about fun and healthy motherhood discussions, please visit and like us in facebook at http://www.facebook.com/seriouslyfunmoms or simply hit the like button below if you find the post helpful.
Latest posts by Jem Alvarado (see all)
- Baby Pictorial for my Daughter’s Birthday - 12/11/2013
- The Apartment TV Winners – Design Your Destiny Season 3 - 12/11/2013
- Happy 6th Wedding Anniversary, Daddy! - 12/09/2013