Are you expecting a baby? As the body prepares the growing baby in the womb of a pregnant woman, expectant moms should also prepare herself including the essential things and her environment for the arrival of the baby. When I am pregnant with my first child my elder sister is the one who guides me most in preparing the newborn essentials. She recommended that I should prepare the maternity bag when I reach my sixth month of pregnancy.
Setting a budget plan throughout your pregnancy is important. You should set a budget for the shopping essentials for you and your baby. To have extra savings on the shopping list, it would be best if you can ask help from your sister, relatives or friends to borrow used items such as baby clothing and maternity dress. You should seek advise from them before shopping. Let me share to you the essential list for baby that I learned from my experience as a mom and from the books and magazines that I have read.
From the smart picks page of Smart parenting magazine, Dr. Cricket Chen, M.D. pediatrician at St. Lukes Medical Center Global City and a practitioner of natural medicine – We should bring clothes made of cotton for newborn to the hospital. The baby skin should be cover as possible, especially if the baby is in an air-conditioned room. For the hospital stay, expectant parents should prepare (borrow or buy) at least three pieces of each baby clothes.
Essential list for baby
Baby Clothes and newborn essentials
- Tie sides- short-sleeved for warm ambiance and long-sleeved for colder places or air-conditioned rooms.
- Cap/ bonnet
- Mittens – to keep you baby from scrathing his face
- Sleep suit/ Night gown
- Shirt: short-sleeved and long sleeved
- Onesie – mix of short and long-sleeved
- Pants – long pants to cover baby’s legs.
- Receiving Blanket or swaddle blanket two to four
- Sweaters, two to four
- Cloth diaper – Gauze diaper allow skin to breathe but still need a plastic liner
Babies grow up really fast so there is no need to buy him too many new clothes and it is practical if you can borrow some baby clothes from you relatives or friends. On the list above, it is better to prepare at least 6 to 10 pieces of baby clothes.
- Burping cloths
- Diapers, cloth
- Diapers, disposable
- Fitted sheets at least three
- Mattress pads
- Pillow – Use one flat pillow for newborn
- Receiving blankets
- Towels, two to four
- Waterproof sheet – use to protect the mattress from diaper leaks
Baby Feeding and nursing
- Breast Pump – you can borrow. For modern moms like me it would be best to use electric breast pump for easy and better milk production.
- Feeding bottles – at least six BPA-free bottles – Plus nursing bottle (160ml for newborn)
- Milk Storage containers
- Breast pads
- Bottle brush and teat brush
- Nipple brush
- Sterilizer – use the stove or an electric sterilizer. Avoid microwaving bottles.
Baby Hygiene and grooming
- Baby brush and comb
- Baby oil – use cream only if baby has eczema.
- Baby powder
- Baby scissors/ nail cutter
- Baby shampoo
- Baby soap or liquid body wash
- Bath Support net – When you’r bathing the baby, always support his neck with one hand.
- Calamine lotion
- Cotton balls
- Cotton ear buds
- Diaper clips
- Diaper rash ointment
- Diaper wipes
- Digital Thermometer
- Disposable diapers – you can use this if you run out of cloth diapers.
- Hooded bath towel and washcloths
- Rubbing alcohol
- Nasal aspirator
- Plastic bathtub
When travelling, always use a diaper bag or a big bag enough to place your baby’s things. You can use a baby carrier or bring a stroller that can be convertible from a lying-down position to semi-reclined. Babies must be lying-down.